Saturday, November 16, 2013

'1850 to Modern Times' Weeks 1 and 2

We had a good time with Weeks 1 and 2 of our new curriculum. In science we are learning about atoms and molecules through the My Father's World 'World of Science' book. As I was reading, Photographer girl took it upon herself to make us a playdoh model of a molecule!  Nice replica if I do say so myself!
 
 
Train Boy had to be in the picture as well =)
Then the younger 2 girls had to make some of their own playdoh, uh, 'creations'  =)
 
 
Then we did some science experiments using '100 Science Experiments' which is an Usborne book...
 
 
Sprinkle pepper in a bowl 1/2 full of water
Dip a toothpick in dish soap and put it in the middle of the water and all the pepper ZOOMS to the sides of the bowl! Super cool!
Poke 3 holes near the bottom of a plastic bottle (about 1/4" apart) fill with water and watch the water stream out of the holes. (Yes I have more than 3 holes. I messed up the first time when I punched the holes in and spaced them too far apart. Oops)
 
 
Pinch the streams near the openings and they will merge into 1 stream. Run your fingers over the holes and they will separate again (this only worked sometimes for us. They didn't separate every time
 
Of course small fingers had to play in our homemade sprinkler. Who could resist?


Looking forward to the next 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment