Monday, August 9, 2010

Not-Back-to-School-Blog-Hop: School Room week!

This is the 2nd week for the 'not-back-to-school-blog-hop' and this week, everyone will be sharing pictures of their school room, or if they dont have a school room, the area they do school in. So here is ours. *link is at the bottom to go to the blog hop to see more*

We have an eat in kitchen so we really dont use the diningroom to eat in, so we decided to use IT for our school room. When we first moved here 4years ago, we started out schooling in the basement but always seemed to drift back upstairs, so I thought, 'why fight it?'
Originially I did NOT want a 'schooly' looking house. However, this seems to be what is working out best for us, so I'm just gonna go with it!

This is the main portion of our school room. *click on pictures to enlarge*
If I go stand by the table in the above picture and turn around, this is the other end of the school room. This was suppose to be a 2nd living room, but again, never used as such. The door way in the left of the picture leads to our living room, the doorway to the right leads to the hall and stairs to go downstairs. This end of the room is our computer station. The table along the left side of the picture is where we dry out art projects.
Here is a closer up look at the area. A lot of the stuff under the table is my craft stuff. The green box on the table holds book basket books for our My Father's World curriculum.


This is my 'active' bookcase and holds all our current curriculum. Well, mostly. The top shelf is my stuff, the middle shelf has teachers manuals, read alouds and the little 3 drawer unit holds math flashcards, post it note and white out tape. The 3rd shelf is all our MFW stuff. The 4th shelf is a hodge podge of workbooks. The bottom shelf holds Destroy Boys toys (which you cant see, its a disaster, trust me).

This book case holds books we may eventually use, workbooks I have purchased at yard sales, 'Book it' books (I have to ration out the books they read for book it time. My 9yr old reads a book a DAY). And encyclopedias as well as some of my vintage childrens books collection.

The 4 drawer unit houses crafts stuff and math u see blocks. The top drawer is a 'teacher drawer' that holds things like stapler, hole punches, tape, etc... My hubby installed a removeable swing in the door way here so Destroy Boy can swing when we do school (or whenever he feels like it). I can turn it around to face into the kitchen as well.
The 3 drawer unit on top of the 4drawer unit holds computer paper, lined paper, and construction paper.
This 4 drawer unit belongs to the girls. Each girl has their own drawer for their crayons and coloring books or whatever other treasures they want to put in there..


This is our game cabinet. It mainly houses board games and educational games as well as playdoh, and some extra craft stuff. The top holds our blanket time pieces for Destroy Boy as well as his 4 boxes of toys for blanket time. The green box holds a child sized accordion I got at a yard sale. No one here can play it, but they girls thinks its peachy to try!

This is my wall. On the top sheet I write down things I will need to order soon. Under that is my agenda for MFW. On the yellow wall is my daily schedule for school (which I posted last week), and under that is a yearly calendar.


I hope you enjoyed taking a peek into my schoolroom! Go to HERE to see more!







24 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun school room! We also do school at the table and love it. Now I need to decide if I'm going to hang stuff on the walls. I love that you have maps and other things hanging up. With the way our house is set up, however. . .I'm just not sure. :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome area!!! I LOVE the swing hanging--great idea!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice space! I'm trying to come up with a way to give us more room for schooling with our 3 yet not letting it completely take over our home. Trying to a find a nice inbetween balance where some things can have a permanent and more organized home, yet it STILL looks like a home and not a school when we have guests and whatnot. hmmmm....
    thanks for sharing your ideas, and love the swing, too. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. You too, Samantha!
    Kari-at first I wanted NOTHING 'school' on the walls, I wanted my house to look like a home and not a school. But I realize this will only be for a few short years and then most of the posters can come down (ABC posters, number posters, months of the year etc)...
    Millicent-we LOVE our swing!!
    Jenn-thanks. the set up still drives me batty 1/2 the time as I do NOT like the 'schoolroom' look in the middle of the house, BUT its only me that it bothers, no one else cares. And several people actually LIKE it and like to look at the posters and thru the books etc =)
    Yunia-thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's so tidy and organized! I am awed that you are so prepared with 5 kids at your feet!
    Julie in MN, MFW boardie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've got a great space for school - such a nice, large room! I wish I had that kind of space to move around and spread out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your set up. What a nice place to learn. Hope you have a great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We use MFW as well and love it! Thanks for sharing your space.

    Have a blessed school year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a terrific space! So nice and big. I love the big tables on the one side - it's great to be able to spread out.

    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie-I LOVE organizing, its the cleaning part I dont like =) However these pics were taken in the morning before any messes could happen =)
    Carrie-it IS nice, but a larger space means more places to make a mess! =)
    Thanks Sheri =)
    Vickie-I looked at your blog-looks great!! did you do ECC as well?
    Deb-the tables were an addition last fall and I love them!! It stared with hubby getting me the all in one printer and needed a place to put it, then the computers ended up there and thats when we realized we needed ANOTHER table =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie-I LOVE organizing, its the cleaning part I dont like =) However these pics were taken in the morning before any messes could happen =)
    Carrie-it IS nice, but a larger space means more places to make a mess! =)
    Thanks Sheri =)
    Vickie-I looked at your blog-looks great!! did you do ECC as well?
    Deb-the tables were an addition last fall and I love them!! It stared with hubby getting me the all in one printer and needed a place to put it, then the computers ended up there and thats when we realized we needed ANOTHER table =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoppin' over from the blog hop! Great learning environment! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the bookshelves. We're doing MFW also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks BranchOfWisdom!
    How neat Jen! *getting ready to check your blog out*.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Love your space! You are very organized! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I am now a follower of your blog so I look forward to getting to know you! God bless your school year! By the way, what is ECC?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic space! I envy the room that you have. LOL! You have a beautiful family and I hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leslie-thank you! ECC stands for 'Exploring Countries and Cultures' and is the 1st year of the 5yr history cycle with My Father's World. We love love love this curriculum. I cant recommend enough to moms with more than 1 school age kiddo.
    Kysha-thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not a naturally organized person, I have to think about it a lot, so I'm always impressed when I see rooms like yours that are so organized. (Notice I did not show pics of our school room closet). I have to be on top of that this year, and tame the paper clutter! Thanks for inspiring me!

    I have seen several moms doing ECC, and it really looks like fun!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I like organization to a fault, problem is that I am ALWAYS organizing, it is never 'done' and its always being 'undone' by my kiddos =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, your room is very nice and organized. I love how much space you have. Destroy boy, that is the perfect nickname! I have six boys so I know what you are talking about!

    Thanks for visiting my blog for the schoolroom hop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. can you post or tell me how to put the swing in? I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ransomed-hubby put a 2x4 up in the top of the door way between our kitchen and diningroom-he installed it by screwing brackets into the 2x4 and then into the wall frame, then he screwed the hooks into the bottom of the 2x4 to hang the swing on. I dont know any of the 'real' terms for these items, but if you want, I can email you some pics closer-up pics!

    ReplyDelete